Monday, January 18, 2010

Weekends!

"The Weekend" that phrase alone can put a bit of pep in your step long about Thursday afternoon when you're tired out from a busy week! You've all gathered by now I love Winter time and snow and all that Wintery stuff.....but I also love the weekends!
In thinking about why I really love Winter AND Weekends so much I realized, none of my kids are in sports right now and our schedule is lighter. The evening seems to come faster since it gets dark earlier so that can create a relaxing feeling too. (I realize sometimes when it's dark earlier it makes me more tired too! ha especially on a Monday). Anyhow....


After we take down our Christmas decorations we leave up our Snowmen and Winter looking decorations and of course we leave lights on everything! ha We love to curl up on the weekends by a fire with just the mantel lights on and we sometimes eat supper downstairs on Saturday's by the fire and my kids just love that!
I was reading in my devotions this week this verse: Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, "Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest." Mark 6:31 WOW even Jesus knew we would need to have a quiet place to get away and rest and I'm glad to try and provide that for Mike and the kids and myself for that matter!
This verse is what I want it to be like for my family! I want to say to them "Come in and make yourselves at home!" I happen to be a mom that loves to cook and bake and I love to see my family sitting down to a good meal and feeling at home, relaxed and most of all "refreshed!" That feeds my soul! I'm so grateful my kids do seem to like being at home and I work to make it as homey as I can!

Practically every Friday night it's "date night" for Mike and I, and often in Winter we will eat at home, getting take out or we'll cook something yummy. Last Friday night we were watching a movie by the fire and I noticed a sign we have on top of our entertainment center that says "LAUGH" and I sat there thinking "I hope that's what our family always does together!" Seeing that sign with the lights softly around it was so cool! I remember buying that sign and hoping it would inspire us all to remember to laugh together as a family! (and maybe for a reminder to ME on those days I'm worn out or when Monday morning rolls around! haha)



It's amazing to me what a few strings of lights, a couple snowmen strewn about and a blazing fire can do to renew and refresh a tired mom and dad, and three cute kids! Can't help but say I'm 'LOVIN MY HOME!'

2 comments:

  1. Oh Jeni, this was so refreshing and wonderful! You really have made your home a haven for your family and you have helped to inspire this friend to be more like that too.
    Love you!
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your family is so blessed to have a mom and wife who finds so much joy in making her family feel cozy and loved at home. Just wonderful. You make me want to clean and then bake something. LOL

    ReplyDelete