Thursday, January 28, 2010

Comfort foods!


Reposting this since we just had it last night and so many friends have been talking about Goulash!
My friends and I were talking about comfort foods this week and this dish came up in conversation, Goulash! I made it this week....I was amazed in talking about this dish, all the different ways people make theirs....such as using Green Peppers in it (which I'm thinking is NOT a good idea, haha but that's just me right? ha) So here's my rendition, I grew up on this but I have tweeked it a bit which you could too, even with green peppers!
Brown 1 lb. ground Chuck with 2 med. sized onions diced, brown until cooked through.
In the meantime boil just over 1/2 a box of Elbow macaroni, cooked a bit firm. Drain meat, drain pasta.
Add pasta back to pasta pan, add meat mixture and add:
1 large 28 oz can of Petite diced tomatoes (or stewed tomatoes), or Puree
1-15 oz can tomato sauce
1/2 bottle Chili sauce (in the Ketchup aisle usually), OR add a 2nd. can of tomato sauce and 1/4 ts. Chili powder if you don't have Chilli sauce on hand.
I prefer the Chili sauce, it gives it a very sweet/slightly spicy taste.
Add salt and pepper to taste and 1 T. sugar.
Stir together and just heat through about 5 mins.
We always ate this with Peanut Butter bread, not sure why! My dad had many quirky combos like this when we were growing up! ha I usually use just a slice of reg. wheat bread, slather with Jif and pile on a bite of Goulash.....YUM If you can try the peanut butter bread on a loaf of Fresh Ital. bread.....oh baby, but then it defeats the healthy qualities of the recipe! haha I love this leftover!

4 comments:

  1. no green pepper, but peanut butter is good? Hmmm??? Very interesting! I love goulosh. Haven't had it in ages though. I want my mom's goulash!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm gonna try this - TOMORROW! I browned up some extra meat today and was wondering what I was going to use it for?? Now I know!! I have all the other ingredients - great!

    Oh, and we used to eat pb bread with this kind of meal when I was a kid too. YUM!!

    As to the pepper: I love to add peppers to lots of dishes. Maybe some red pepper in this one, for that bit of sweetness?? maybe.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. UPDATE:
    I tried this today (Sat.) and it was a big hit! Well.....a big hit with me, my dh, Tali & Elijah. Selah ate it, but not a bunch. Isaac (my picky, won't-try-anything-new-until-the-upteenth-time-it's-served child) only took one bite when bribed by his father with an M&M. He then told me it was too spicy.

    And it was a bit spicy. I did it exactly as the recipe said, but then it just didn't taste *right*. I'm sure your recipe is GREAT!! I was just remembering the goulash from my childhood and this just wasn't quite right.

    I stood in front of my spice door and tried a little of this, a pinch of that, a sprinkle or two of something else. I finally got it fairly good - but it's still not the same as I remember. I'm gonna have to call my mom tonight....

    Thanks for the great recipe - it really was a "remember back when..." type of recipe for me. Plus, I got Tali & Elijah all excited about making it with me!! We had a blast~ Then Tali kept telling everyone about this AMAZING meal she made with Momma...."Goulish". ;);)

    ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds good, but I must admit I've never made goulash. I'm going to have to try it when my older boys are home.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete