Friday, January 7, 2011

Chicken and dumpling soup...sorta!

I've tried several times to make chicken and dumplings but it's quite time consuming and I like fast when I'm making soup for dinner so I thought of an idea and it worked out great and tasted yummy...using cheese filled Tortellini as the "noodle" in chicken soup. It was a 5 out of 5 that liked it our house....It was very reminiscent of Won Ton soup at the Chinese restaurant as well! enjoy!


11 Cups water
10 Chicken bouillon cubes (you can certainly use broth)
2 Cups roasted chicken (I made a roast chicken the night before but you could use a store bought cooked whole chicken or 2-3 chicken breasts boiled and shredded/cut up)
1 bag frozen crinkle cut carrots
1 Can cream of chicken soup (I used the gravy from the roasted chicken I had made instead of the soup)
1 Tb. butter
Salt and pepper as desired
1 bag cheese filled Tortellini
4-5 green onions, washed and sliced even the dark green parts
Bring water to a boil, add bouillon cubes and lower to a simmer. Stir on occasion until dissolved. Add chicken, and carrots. Simmer for atleast 1/2 hr. Taste to see if you want salt added and pepper. Turn heat up and bring to a slow boil on med. heat, add Tortellini and butter and simmer 15 minutes....Add green onions and simmer 5 more minutes.
This served 5 with leftovers! Serve with your favorite bread or crackers! a very filling meal!


1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! My mom makes great noodles, but I've never mastered the art. Tortellini is such a great replacement idea!
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete