Monday, June 28, 2010

Getting cleaned up....

The girls were at church camp all last week so I had plans to get some things re-organized and cleaned up.......started with this door. You can see the large bulletin board, it had a big poster of the times tables on it for Grace so I decided to take that off and actually have it to use for things more productive. (When I took the poster down I wasn't sure where to hang it so I got thinking that Grace sleeps in a bottom bunk so I put it between the slats of the top bunk so when she lays in bed she's staring straight at it and she needs to work on them for 4th grade anyhow....she was thrilled to see it and I've heard her repeating some! YAY!). ....ANYHOW....I also took down a nasty old stained up dry erase board and got a new one that has a corked edge so you can pin stuff to the edge...... ....see the cool cork edge......and the magnets are the DAYS OF THE WEEK love that....Target $4.99 for the magnets...they are rubber and so cool....the bulletin bd. was $12.99...not bad for a whole new clean slate so to speak...... Also to the right of the door you can see a silver mesh mounted letter holder for mail or file folders etc. I am always stuffing the calendar full of mail or reminders so I got that instead and I love it! also Target!! In total it was about a $35 project and well worth it!!
Also I replace a nasty old looking marked up chore chart (somehow there were always smudge marks on certain jobs and someone would say "I couldn't read it so I didn't know what to do!" ha really.....what's that old phrase "was I born yesterday??" ha) So when I was getting the new marker board I came across this actual Chore Chart at Target for $7.99....I was going to get individual small boards for each kid but I got this and used the days of the week for each chore instead of how they instruct you to use it........Of all the things I cleaned and sorted and re-did this was the kids favorite........NOT!

I found black sparkly stickers and made all new tags for the containers of crayons, markers etc. I had to get creative with some words since you only had so many letters to work with....haha you can click on the photo to enlarge it if you really want to see! I put the letters on colored card stock and then taped them on with packaging tape so it went over the entire card and letters! It took FOREVER to do this job but I did it in front of tv. so it wasn't too bad! Amazing how simply relabeling enticed the kids to use things they haven't touched in ages!!! go figure!



BUT before you are to impressed (I'm just assuming you are...hey I was impressed with myself...I enjoyed some peace and quiet and read alot and swam while they were away but I WAS very productive everyday.........so before you're too impressed don't be......I am now weeding through this pile of doll clothes........looks like a movie's worth of sorting here........so I'll be back with results another day perhaps.........Are you doing "Spring cleaning" in Summer.....My friend Leanne is going at her laundry room.....it's amazing check this out here to see what's she's doing.....apparently this pile of hers has grown and I told her to re post a new photo...I think people will be so impressed but she said no way! haha She's doing an awesome job, I told her if that's all she does ALL SUMMER that's an accomplishment in itself....6 kids and 2 parents worth of clothes to sort........IYIYI Be sure if you go to Leanne's blog to refresh the page and read her lovely post about her son Patrick's baptism yesterday....I missed it because we were stuck in a storm at my cousin's open house so I'm glad she posted!! Proud of that young man!







2 comments:

  1. NOW Lucy!
    haha! I was quite impressed with all your ambitious accomplishments and creativity!!!! Then...
    I am not showing an updated photo! Haha!
    your friend,
    Ethel!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember the "doll clothes" stage. Now it's my girls own clothes they always seem to need to pick up. I was very impressed with your organizing. Did you get the bulletin board at Target too? I've been wanting to get a new one, but didn't think to look there. Everything looks great.
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete