Monday, March 22, 2010

Banana Cake! Old fashioned style!

We had a Birthday party Friday night for my mom and Mike and my niece. Mike's aunt brought a luscious German Chocolate cake and I made my Grandma's old fashioned banana cake with Marshmallow icing! Both cakes were great! but I can only give you the recipe for my Grandma's! ha So here goes!
Banana Cake:
1 1/2 C. sugar
1/2 C. shortening
2 eggs, beaten slightly
1 C. sour milk or buttermilk
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
2 C. flour
1 C. mashed bananas (3)
dash salt
*You can make sour milk by adding 1 ts. lemon juice to 1 C. milk and stir for a minute, it really does make a difference in the cake's taste!Cream shortening and sugar. Add beaten egg. Add dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk. Add bananas and beat well. Pour into 2-9" cake pans prepared with Pam. Bake at 375* for 30-35 min. until browned and done in centers. You can also make a 9 x 13 and bake 35 mins. until done. Marshmallow Icing:
2 egg whites
1 C. dark Corn Syrup
1/2 C. mini marshmallows
Beat eggs whites and Corn syrup in double boiler on stove.(I make my own by putting a smaller pan in a larger pan of simmering water) Beat over hot water until thick and fluffy. (About 5-6 minutes) Add marshmallows and beat until melted. Remove pan from stove and beat until icing holds peaks. (5 mins. or so) Let icing sit about 5 minutes before icing cake.

You really have to make the icing the day you want to make the cake and eat it. Otherwise the icing gets a bit too stiff, although it's good leftover just not AS good as the first day. I made a triple layer cake by making a batch and a half of the cake mix BUT then I was short icing. If you want to make a triple layer (which is really pretty) make a double batch of icing! MMM this cake is so moist and has a yummy crunchy outside to it....you could almost eat the cake with NO icing.....but then again once you taste this icing you wouldn't WANT to go without it! it's really simple and delicious! There's nothing like "Grandma cakes!"
VOILA! cake! notice my little shadow box, remember the one Beth got me? I found the perfect Easter bunny to put in there...we named him Ben! ha ENJOY everyone....this would be a great Easter cake.....I have a yummy chocolate pecan pie recipe to share soon too that would be wonderful for Easter and is very simple!








1 comment:

  1. Your cake turned out so pretty!!!!!
    I am positive it is delicious too!

    Leanne

    ReplyDelete