Thursday, September 24, 2009

APPLES APPLES APPLES!




IT'S APPLE PICKING TIME...oh how I love this time of year because we love anything "APPLES!" Pie, Applesauce, Apple turnovers, Apple pastries......mmmm It doesn't hurt that usually some Cider and a warm crunchy Cinnamon donut are usually part of our apple picking day! So here's a little twist on a yummy apple pie we love!
Caramel Apple Crumb Pie
5-7 Tart apples, peeled, cored and sliced (Whatever apple you like for baking)
1 -9" Pie crust (now there's NOTHING like homemade here but I have to say I LOVE Pillsbury Roll out crust the best of any pre made crusts, it's nice and thin and crispy and buttery!
1/2 C. sugar
1 ts. Cinnamon
1/2 C. Caramel apple dip, such as Marzetti (Mike laughs because I use the Low Fat one! ha, hey this is always a staple in my house for snacking)
Topping:
1/2 C. Sugar
3/4 C. flour
1/3 C. Butter or Marg.
Preheat oven to 400*
Press crust into 9" pie plate
Toss apples with Sugar and Cinnamon (you could add 1/4 ts.Nutmeg if you like, I do! I also add 1/4 ts. pumpkin pie spice for a change sometimes in addition to the Cinn.)
Sprinkle apple mixture with 2 Tb. flour and stir in. Let sit while you make crumb topping.
Cut butter into flour and sugar with two butter knives, a large meat fork or a pastry blender ( a very inexpensive tool and well worth the money) until it resembles pea sized shapes, it will be floury!
Pour apples into pie crust, I warm the Caramel until it's pourable, do 10 seconds at a time and stir between intervals. Pour caramel over apple mixture, don't worry if it's globby....wait until you bite into a warm glob of CARAMEL! Sprinkle crumb mixture over pie and bake 40 mins. until golden brown! If you can eat it warm and the Caramel oozes out throughout each yummy bite!!
A little tip...I use a melon baller to scoop out the apple seeds/core that get missed when coring the apples!

5 comments:

  1. You never cease to make my mouth water and my stomach rumble with your yummy recipes. Why oh why must I be someone without wonderful metabolism?! It's just not fair! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. You took the words out of my mouth, Danielle. I am with ya sister, about the metabolism thing. Soooooo NOT fair! :) You're amazing, Jen, in too many ways!! Looks, yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yummmmmmmmy! I hope my baking daughters get busy!
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, gonna try this one once we go on our 'apple-picking' trip. Sounds delish!!

    Thanks~
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad to say, but I didn't make that sweater on my blog. I really want to make one though...isnt it so darn cute? I have been on quite the creating streak, so ya never know what I might come out with. Tomorrow morning, my post with the wrap/scarf and brooches I made will be up, so be sure to check it out and tell me what you think!

    ReplyDelete