Monday, April 19, 2010

Unsure of trying.....Turkey burgers and fries!


Well I was unsure if I wanted to even "try" a turkey burger....I knew I didn't think the frozen patties looked so good but my parents and many friends actually love ground turkey so I thought since we're trying to eat healthier and save some money our Friday date night would be at home "fast food!" So I got some ground turkey (I bought the 99% lean Turkey)...and here's what we did!
1 19 oz pkg. of Ground White turkey (makes 6 patties)
Mix ground turkey with 1 ts. Seasoning salt, and 1 ts. Worcestershire sauce, and make into 6 patties. Grill patties (we used our George Foreman grill) or you can grill them. They take a very sort time to cook. 5 Min's. on the George Foreman and likely the same on the grill. They have no fat in them so they cook up very nice and tight.
In the meantime, wash and slice in half 8 oz. Portebella mushrooms. In an iron skillet (or reg. skillet) melt 2 ts. butter, on Med. heat saute mushrooms until browned. Move mushrooms aside in pan and add 1 large onion cut in thick slices and saute until soft.
If you want to add delicious baked fries to this meal go here for the recipe. So all in all this meal was DIVINE and I would have to admit (and this is coming from a gal who would MARRY a Cheeseburger) they were just as good as a regular burger! I piled it high with sauteed onions, fresh ripe tomato slices and lots of Ketchup! you could put the mushrooms on but we ate ours on the side.......it was delicious! perhaps you've already tried turkey and you're way ahead of me...but if not TRY it!
(Ground turkey is more costly than ground beef....but since it was date night I was thinking how much we'd spend if we went to a restaurant, even McDonald's couldn't beat the price let alone it being healthy! so those kind of indulgences are OK sometimes!)

2 comments:

  1. I love turkey burgers. The one they have at Ruby Tuesdays is delicious, it has avocado, red onion and cheese it is so delicious. Welcome aboard the turkey burger train. Yummy.
    :) Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turkey burgers are pretty much all we eat around here. We all love them!

    ReplyDelete