Thursday, April 8, 2010

Taco Pasta Toss....tweeked!

This recipe is a keeper for our family.....4 out of 5 of us loved it....Macy just has her "taco meat" issues for some odd reason...but the girl will down a burger no prob! iyiyi This was a recipe I saw on Rachel Ray but I realized all her spices were the same as the ingredients in a package of Taco Seasoning so that cuts many steps and sometimes people don't have an array of spices at home!
1 1 lb. box whole wheat Rotini spiral noodles, cooked and drained
1 lb. Ground sirloin/or round (or turkey)
1 envelope low sodium Ortega Taco seasoning
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 small can tomato paste (the tiny can)
1 1/2 C. chicken stock/broth
1 C. shredded Cheddar (and more for serving)
2-3 Roma tomatoes diced on the side
Sour cream
4-5 thin sliced green onions
Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add 1 lb. box of Rotini noodles and cook according to directions. Brown ground beef with onion until onion is translucent, add garlic and stir. Add taco seasoning packet, tomato paste and chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Drain pasta and add to meat mixture and let simmer about 5 mins. ( I use my large electric skillet but if you don't have that you can use a large cooking pot, just be sure it's deep enough to hold the noodles and meat mixture). Sprinkle the top with 1 C. shredded Cheddar and put the lid on just until melted, a few minutes.
Serve with any "taco fix ins" you like, I only named a few: Roma tomatoes, more cheese, sour cream, and green onions but you can do lettuce, black olives, jalapenos etc!
I served this with Guacamole and Blue chips.....we will definitely serve this perhaps weekly or every two weeks! Macy eats Nachos and cheese and makes a mini taco salad since she has her taco meat issues! ha not that I cater to picky eaters but I am reasonable....she DID try it! ha
ENJOY!! This served 5 of us, one including a teen aged boy with a bowlful of leftovers (which tasted even better!) I found this faster than tacos, and less mess.....not saying that I'm giving up Tacos....NO WAY!


5 comments:

  1. Sounds Yummy!! We have a similar recipe, few other ingredients... Will try and find it and send you a copy... Tried it out on the family... When we made it I LOVED it... Others in the family said it was OK!!! You'll have to be the judge!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so dang good. I think I'm definitely going to have to try that one because my whole family loves anything Mexican style. Thanks, Jeni!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something my family would love. I laughed at your comment about not having the spices at home, because, as you know, in my case, they might be there, and just be very, very old :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so loving this recipe! I will try it for sure! Abbi and I love your new blog background, too cute and I always love the music :) Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going out to the kitchen right now to give this recipe a try - sounds great (quick & easy too!)

    Thanks~

    ReplyDelete