Monday, June 1, 2009

Steak sandwich!


A great steak sandwich, easy to make and delicious!
2-3 lb. Flank Steak (this cut is around $12 for a steak this size, which might seem high in price but it serves many and compared to say, Fillet haha it's a bargain! and I snatch them up when they mark them on clearance!) This is also a GREAT marinade for Pork of any kind!
Marinade:
1/4 C. soy sauce
3 T. honey
2 ts. red wine vinegar or balsamic
1 1/2 ts. garlic powder (or one clove fresh)
1 1/2 ts. ground ginger
1-2 green onions, sliced thin
1/2 C. Veg. oil
Whisk together in 9 x 13 baking dish and place flank steak in marinade, coat one side then flip. Let sit in marinade at least 3-4 hrs. for the best flavor!
Grill 5-6 mins. each side and then lower grill temp. for an additional 4 mins. or until desired doneness. I like it fairly well done, a meat thermometer is your best friend when grilling meats! You can also broil this in the oven, just watch it and don't put it too close to the top coils but alt east 8" or closer!
Let this sit after grilling/cooking atleast 5-10 mins. this will let the meat seal in it's juices, this is KEY to melt in your mouth steak!....cut on a cutting board against the grain in thin strips!
I used Multi grain French bread as "buns", but you can use any buns you like, a hard bun made it a bit difficult to bite into but it was really good! butter them lightly and grill just until toasty. You can add some sauteed onions like I did, mushrooms or even peppers and cheese would be good. We often make sweet potato fries with this meal, just cut 4 large sweet potatoes into fries, skins on. Toss in a bowl with 2 T. Olive Oil and bake at 425 for 35-45 mins. until desired crispiness!
We love to eat this as a steak dinner as well, it's so tender and melts in your mouth! My daughter calls it "Fake Steak" ha
This is also great in Fajitas and you could add some lime juice the last 1/2 hr. of marinating to add a Fajita flavor!
Enjoy! This steak serves 6 generous sized sandwiches!

2 comments:

  1. I think I may need someone to wipe up the drool over here! This sounds so delicious. I think I'm gonna have to try that. I'm pretty sure Brian won't have any objections to that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, I have a blog! I need to follow yours so I make sure I don't miss out on any yummy recipes. ;-)

    ReplyDelete