Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thrifty on Thursday!


Family fun at little or no cost!
Our local theatre offers a Free Spring movie Saturday starting this Saturday actually! You can also print coupons from their website for low cost popcorn and pop specials! (Yes the kiddie trays are cute but NOT a good value. Bring something from all that Valentine's candy you have piled up, or Christmas if you're like us! (I'm not a nice mom when it comes to passing out candy! ha)http://www.gqti.com/freematinee.aspx Here's the link for the free movies! A fun way to get out and have some fun! You can go to http://www.pluggedinonline.com/ and get a review of the movies showing but it looks like there are some decent ones!
The library is also a great place to get free videos/DVD's for your family as well. In our children's dep't they are free and in the adult section I believe they are $1.50. Books are always a great activity as well, I try to pick a theme of sorts when I go usually every two weeks or so. We read alot about Winter animals this winter and even did some crafts. My girls got to see a Sled Dog demo and pet the dogs this winter at our winter fest so we got some books about that. Be creative, your kids would much rather have your time than a toy! (I think! ha) March is reading month at our schools and they are reading for their March Of Dimes readings sheets so they are motivated to read especially now.
I also get Books with CD for long car rides, or when my youngest daughter and I wait for my older daughter to finish her safety patrol duties in the morning and afternoon! There are MANY creative ways to use your library! Ours offers computer games and the girls love to play on them there for something different so I bring along my own book so I'm not just waiting! They also offer free events at the library too, my daughter just went to a presentation on Harriot Tubman's life, with her friend and she loved it!
A living room picnic is a fun idea we like to do! Sometimes we start a fire and spread out a blanket or get out t.v. trays and eat in front of t.v. (Yes I said t.v....hey it's only once in a while that's what makes it special!)
Make your own fast food....this costs a little money but a fraction of what you'd pay for REAL fast food! Make your own pizza with a premade crust and set up a topping station! Make burgers and baked fries, coney dogs and even milkshakes! (You know you throw away that little toy you got with the meal after a few days anyhow! ha)
Just a few ideas on some free or inexpensive fun for your family during times when there might not be alot of extras! Plus it's great training for our kids that making your own fun is a good idea!!

1 comment:

  1. Yes, you are my thrifty & fun friend! I must admit I love Pioneer Girl and the Messy Thrilling girl too. But flowers in February! I am so envious! I don't think I can take it! Why the snow today??? I want flowers too!

    ReplyDelete