Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stuffed Meat Pizza!







We are trying to eat more healthy, at least more healthy than we did over the Holidays! yikes! So I pulled out a cookbook my girlfriend got me in the Spring for my Birthday. It's a new updated and revised version of a cookbook called: Trim and Terrific Friendly Freezer meals. I found some really yummy things in there to try and this recipe was one we tried last night! It was a perfect Friday night meal. (Although my girls aren't fans of ground beef so they had Mac N Cheese if you can imagine!) I made the recipe double and froze two halves. It serves 10 the recipe says but I made it serve 8 so we could indulge a "bit". ha It was Friday night after all! I had a whole 1/2 left and boy was it good leftover for lunch today! I made 2 bags of fresh spinach last night to go with it which was a good side dish and DON'T ask why the Tator Tots, we just had a craving! haha Enjoy!
Stuffed Meaty Pizza
1 loaf Italian or French bread
1 1/2 lbs. ground sirloin (I used chuck)
1 ts. minced garlic
1 onion finely chopped
1/3 cup finely chopped, peeled carrot (I used one large carrot)
1 T. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 ts. Allspice (which I didn't have so I used Pumpkin pie spice, the only dif. is the Ginger which wasn't bad at all!)
1/2 C. red wine
1/2 C. beef broth (I used 1 C. beef broth to sub. the wine)
1 14.5 oz can pureed tomatoes(I would try this with canned pizza sauce too for more spice, the tomatoes are a more fresh tomato taste, if you wanted a pizza taste it would be good to change it up)
2 T. chopped parsley (I used 2 ts. dry)
1 1/2 C. shredded, part skim Mozzarella
2 T. grated Romano cheese (I used Parm)
2 T. chopped fresh basil (a must I think) you could use 2ts. dry
Preheat oven to 450*. Split bread lengthwise and hollow out most of the inside of each bread leaving a shell. (bag the hollowed out parts to enjoy another time or eat it with butter while you wait, OR make bread crumbs) Lightly crisp the bread in the oven for 5 mins. watching carefully.
In a large non-stick skillet over med. heat, cook beef, garlic, onion and carrots until the meat is done and the vegetables are tender. Drain any excess grease. Add the Worc. sauce, Allspice, wine, broth, and tomatoes. Cook for 10 mins. or until liquid is reduced. Season with salt and pepper and add parsley. Transfer meat mixture to fill the inside of the bread. Sprinkle with cheeses.
To Prepare and Eat Now: Heat broiler, and broil the loaves only until cheese is melted, about one minute sprinkle with Basil and serve.
To freeze: Do not bake before freezing. Cool to room temp., then wrap, label and freeze. I froze mine without the cheese so I could add it later but then you have to make sure you have the cheese on hand when you make it. Freezing time: up to 2 mos.
To prepare after freezing: Defrost or cook directly from freezer. If cooking directly from freezer, bake at 375* for about 15 mins. or until heated THROUGH and cheese is melted. Otherwise, heat the broiler and broil the loaves until cheese is melted about one minute. Sprinkle with basil and serve!
Cals: 281 Protein 23, Carbs:28, Fat: 8 Diabetic ex: 2.5 lean meat 1.5 starch 1 Veg.

No comments:

Post a Comment