Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Cornbread and Chili.....











A Delicious winter combo of comfort foods......high in iron too! ha I know everyone has their own favorite Chili recipe so I'll share mine in case there's someone else who like mild Chili, I don't like alot of heat in my chili, I like it a bit on the thicker side and I love it leftover! The reason you see a small pot is that I asked the girls if I made them a small pot of their own without meat and onion would they eat it, they said they would and they did!

Chili

1 lb. ground beef

1 large onion, diced

1 large can Tomato juice (48 oz)

1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes (I don't like chunks in mine but you can used diced or stewed, I like home canned stewed tomatoes in it but if I don't have them I used canned crushed or pured')

2 cans dark red kidney beans

1 can light red kidney beans

1 can butter beans (that I forgot to add, ha)

1 can corn, drained

1 can chili beans, medium (this gives you a mild heat, use HOT if you want alot of heat)

1/2 ts. chili powder

2 T. sugar

1 t. salt

ground pepper to taste


Brown beef and onions, drain, add tomato juice, tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Let simmer for 2-3 hrs. After you brown the beef and onion, you can transfer all these ingredients to a crock pot too for the day! it doesn't get as thick as it does on the stove if you make in the crock pot but it's all good! ha


Cornbread casserole

2 small boxes Jiffy cornbread mix, make according to directions on box, add one can creamed corn, pour into sprayed 8 x 8 baking dish or a baking dish close to that size, pour 1/4 C. melted butter over, sprinkle lightly with white sugar and bake 35-40 min. at 400*. It will be slightly soft in center, remove from oven and put a few dabs of butter on top and spread. Let sit about 10 mins. to set!


Forgive my sideways photo, haha I didn't know how to turn it! ha In a larger soup bowl put a scoop of corn bread to the side, chili to the side of that, add a BIG dollop of sour cream over the chili, sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese over the top of ALL of that.....Put in an episode of I Love Lucy, turn out the lights, light a few candles ....better yet light a fire and ENJOY!!! it's very filling! You have to get just the perfect bite too....a bit of cornbread with the chili and toppings! yummm I'm still stuffed! And just think how you are boosting your iron with that red meat and beans......energy food! hahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment