Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Spring break....

We just had Spring break last week and it was one of the best we've ever had....We didn't go anywhere warm and it was plenty cold here during it! but the sun was out alot! The best part were the late nights and LATE mornings! Very restful! One of the days we went to the Henry Ford Museum. My kids and Mike have been on several field trips there but we haven't been in ages as a family...as a matter of fact I think I haven't been since I was a child. There's also a Village there but it won't open for another week or so! Check it out here if you are interested...we found that buying a family membership was the best route to take since it's good for a year!













The railroad was a cool exhibit and I LOVED this stage/train...I could just picture Ma and Pa Ingles riding on to visit Mary and Adam in Sleepy Eye!! can you imagine how bumpy and dusty it would have been.......however, it would have been so exciting for those mama's and daddies that yearned to visit their children and have a means of faster travel! I can't even fathom those big fat dresses they wore and the bustles....imagine that in summer! yikes!















The flying exhibit was very neat!! When you see some of those early planes you just can't imagine anyone would fly in them safely! Some with no enclosed pilot seats...I don't know how they didn't get sucked right out!! Amazing to see how far we've come with flight (and yet...I still do not like to fly! haha) We read an interesting tid bit that Amelia Earhart sold her piano to buy flying lessons as a young woman! pretty amazing....
















We met our good friends Dan and Leanne and four of their kids there. That was the highlight for my girls!! haha and ME! Leanne and I had fun watching our little Cherubs walk around filling their minds with great history and interesting facts! I loved her commenting on Grace walking around with a notebook writing down facts...she said "Grace is every homeschooling mom's dream writing this stuff down!" haha Grace enjoyed that alot and there was a rubbing drawing you could make at each exhibit so she did them in her notebook!
















Here we are about half way through...watching some of our kids cranking a power source that lit up the harder you cranked. Macy and Lydia were wore out from cranking! haha We were in the big engine section....amazing how some of those old machines ran on those gigantic engines!


I took a picture of a bus that was there but I can only add a limited amout of photos here. We sat on the bus that Rosa Parks sat on when she was taken off and arrested. I was so moved hearing her story.....The tour guide was explaining that actually she was seated in the black seating section but a white person came on and the bus driver asked her to move and she stood her ground. She was 42 years old.....I am 42 years old...could I be that couragious? I hope so....it made my heart ache as the guide told us how the black people had to pay their dime up front and go to the back door of the bus to get in and sometimes the bus driver would take their money and drive away when they got out to go to the back door.


During the time the guide was talking to us a high school aged group of kids got on the bus and there were many African American kids in the group and I just watched their faces as they listened to a recording about this time in history and I prayed they would have courage, that they would be seen as equals ......I said to my kids after that and after we saw some exhibits about slavery "it's awful to think God created people and somewhere along the way someone decided one group of people was less important than other"! how did that happen! I pray things are greatly changed today!!!

















Here we are .....the two original Oscar Mayer Wieners!!! hahaha OK some facts about the Wiener Mobile ...it was created as the first commercial vehicle to premiere a product on the streets! It was in many parades through the years and you should have seen all the Oscar Mayer Wiener stuff you could buy in the gift shop! We did buy a Wiener whistle!! I tried to get Jordan a deck of cards but he declined!! haha


We hope to go back to the Village outside when it gets warmer outside. They have a working train and in the Spring months there are some weekends that the train is "dressed up" to look like Thomas the Train! I thought that would be a BLAST to see, however no one in my family said the same! ha


It was a fun time!

We had a great break, good food, dear friends came to visit from out of town and fun was had by all!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you put that picture on here!!!!!!! LOL
    That was a great day!
    I am so glad you had such a great break! I know that your whole family needed that refreshment and rest!
    Love ya, Sister!
    Leanne

    ReplyDelete